Peeps are the best thing ever. But, I know that not everyone feels the same way. Every Easter, I love to see little marshmallow chicks and bunnies lined across the shelves with their sparkly little marshmallow bodies. With Easter coming up, I decided to make a fun little treat with the kids and of course it had to include peeps. Can you believe it’s almost Easter?
I found these cookie cutters and decided to make some sugar cookies that we could decorate with sparkles. I was on a mission to make these sugar cookies look just like peeps.
What do you think?
Because Andrew has a peanut allergy and most of the Wilton sprinkles are manufactured in a plant with nuts, I had to find an alternative to decorate the sugar cookies.
I decided to use my recipe for colored sugar to decorate all of the chicks. Homemade yellow colored sugar covers very well and I knew that it would make the chicks look sparkly and cute.
When decorating the bunnies, I wanted to make them stand out with bright and vibrant colors. To make this happen, I frosted the bunnies with a color that complements the colored sugar.
For the first one, I used the blue gel frosting and I sprinkled it with homemade pink colored sugar. The middle one was also decorated with blue gel frosting and it was topped with blue crystals from Wilton. The blue crystals that I found from Wilton did not have an allergen warning for cross-contamination.
Then I decorated the red bunny and used a red gel frosting sprinkled with homemade pink colored sugar.
All of these sugar cookies were made to be peanut-free.
What you need to make Peeps Sugar Cookies
- Chick and Bunny cookie cutters, they have some that look just like these at Michael’s craft store
- Gel frosting or Colored Royal Frosting
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Colored Sugar or sprinkles
- Sugar Cookie Mix or recipe below
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar with electric mixer until well combined. Beat in egg and extract. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt: add to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/8 of an inch thickness. Cut out your peeps and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet or parchment paper, bake for 9 to 12 minutes until cookies are lightly brown.
- Cool, decorate and eat!