Whether you are new to baking, or a seasoned pro, there are a few staple recipes you’ll want under your belt. Knowing how to make a rainbow cake recipe from scratch is definitely one that will come in handy. This easy recipe has become a go to our home.
In a hurry? Skip directly to the recipe here.
How to Make a Rainbow Cake Recipe From Scratch
I can’t recall the first time I ran across a rainbow cake, but I know for sure I was pretty impressed. These bright and colorful cakes are definitely an eye-catcher! Since they literally incorporate rainbow colors, this is a cake from scratch that will pretty much work for any holiday or special occasion. Not only are rainbow cakes visually appealing, this particular recipe proves that they’re quite tasty as well.
If you’re concerned that a rainbow cake recipe from scratch will be pretty darn complicated, prepare yourself to be amazed! Not only is the recipe easy to follow, it’s not incredibly time-consuming either. It starts off with a basic vanilla cake from scratch recipe. You can use your favorite or try mine’s below!
Once your vanilla cake batter is complete. separate it into bowls and add your food coloring to color the individual sections. I prefer Americolor food coloring gels.
Once each bowl of vanilla cake batter has been colored, the real fun begins!
You’ll want to (very carefully) pour each layer into your bundt cake pan and carefully push to the edge, making sure you do not swirl the layers. Want a fun cake design like mine? Check the link below!
Once your cake has baked and you’ve removed it from the oven and allowed it to cool, you’re ready to ice it. One of the things many people struggle with when it comes to making a cake from scratch is whipping up the best icing. Luckily, this rainbow cake recipe from scratch needs nothing more than some melted cream cheese frosting drizzled across the top to seal the deal!
Don’t take my word for it. Try this rainbow cake recipe from scratch for yourself, then hurry back and let me know how it turns out!
Grab the Full Rainbow Cake Recipe Below
- Homemade Vanilla Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (divided into 4 pieces)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Americolor food coloring gels (Super Red - Orange - Lemon Yellow - Leaf Green - Royal Blue - Violet)
- 1 container of cream cheese frosting
- Sprinkles or toppings of your choice
- Set out the butter, milk and eggs and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a bundt pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- In the same bowl, start adding the butter, one piece at a time, and mix for about a minute. Scrape down the sides if you need to.
- Then, add in the vanilla and mix while slowly adding in the milk. Mix until combined.
- On a low speed, add in the eggs one by one and mix until combined.
- Separate the batter into 5 bowls and add food coloring to each of the bowls. Mix until the colors are well incorporated.
- Layer each color, one by one, into the prepared pan. Start with red and use a spatula to carefully push the batter to the edges of your pan. Follow with orange, yellow, green, blue and then purple.
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes. Check it at the 30 mark with a toothpick and if it doesn't come out clean, keep baking 5 minutes at a time.
- When it's done, cool for 10 minutes and invert it onto a cooling rack for about an hour.
- To frost, add some frosting into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 10 seconds. Then drizzle the icing all over the top and sprinkle with your toppings. Enjoy!