If there’s one household chore that ranks pretty high on my list of undesirables, it’s laundry. The never ending task! It seriously amazes me how much laundry my family can go through in a small period of time. Then there’s the whole ordeal of sorting, pre-treating when necessary, washing, drying, folding, putting away… repeat. No matter how much you stay on top of laundry, you’ll never have it ALL done either. Unless you’ve found a way to literally take the clothes of everyone’s back so that you can launder them… there’s always going to be a dirty article of clothing or linen lingering around somewhere.
Over the years, I’ve found a few tips and tricks to help keep things running smoothly, however.
Community Laundry Baskets
We used to just have everyone use their own laundry baskets. When it was time to wash, I’d gather the baskets and sort. I’ve learned instead, however, that the power comes in sorting! Have your family immediately discard their soiled clothing into color categorized baskets, then keep one separate basket for linens and bath towels. Now there is no need to sort when it’s time to do laundry. Simply grab a presorted basket and begin!
Set a Schedule
This makes things the easiest. I used to do all of my laundry on one day, but I found that doing a load a day or every couple of days makes life much easier! Just choose a day of the week for each color of clothing, or type (like linen) and knock that load out on its designated day!
Laundry Hacks to Make Things Easier
- Super Fluffy Towels – Instead of using fabric softener, throw a cupful of white vinegar into the wash!
- Storing Bed Sheets – To keep bed sheets stored nicely, fold all of the matching sheets and put them into a pillow case for a neat and tidy shelf.
- Nasty Yellow Stains – Try this! Combine 3 tsp of Dawn dish soap, 2 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide and 2 tbsp of baking soda. Mix together and rub into the stain.
- Stubborn Missing Socks – Missing socks after going through the wash? Wash all of your socks in a lingerie bag, keeps all of your socks in one place
- Quick Wash Setting – Did you know that most washing machines have a quick wash setting? If your clothes aren’t that soiled, use it this setting to get the job done. It works!
Once the laundry is all done, don’t be afraid to enlist help! My kids love to help fold clothes, and everyone can be responsible for putting their own clothes away. A little bit of team work goes a long way in making the process quick and easy!
Do you have a hack for getting the laundry done? Comment below!