One of my favorite childhood cookies were iced oatmeal cookies. They were hard and crunchy, with a tasty iced glazing on top. As a child, these were amazing! Who am I kidding? These are still amazing, I could eat them one after another.
With it being throwback Thursday, I wanted to share some fun treats with my children and watch some old TV classics on Netflix. After looking around at several cookie treats in the store, I found that most of these cookies were manufactured in a plant with nuts or they contained nuts. What a bummer.
When life throws you lemons, right?
We had to get crafty in the kitchen and recreate my favorite iced oatmeal cookie treat from scratch so the whole family could enjoy them.
My iced oatmeal cookie recipe came out nice and flat, just like I remembered, but they were so soft and chewy! Definitely not a crunchy cookie like the ones in the store, but so much better.
Check out the recipe at the bottom of this post to make them with your kids too!
So we had our delicious cookies and we finished off the day with a few of my favorite classics, and what are now my children’s favorite shows on Netflix.
Garfield and Friends, My Little Pony and Clifford the Big Red Dog!
I love throwback Thursdays, they are so fun to reminisce on all of the things that we grew up with.
What were some of your favorite shows during childhood?
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 sticks margarine (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind your rolled oats in a food processor or a blender for about 10 seconds, you want to leave texture in your oatmeal so don't do too much!
- Mix the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the margarine and sugars until creamed together. Add in eggs, one at a time. Gradually add in the dry mixture, little by little, until well combined.
- Scoop your dough in a size of about 2 tablespoons and roll into a ball. Place onto prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart (silicone, parchment paper or sprayed).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the bottoms are browned. They will appear puffy in the oven.
- After removing from the oven, allow the cookies to sit on the sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wired rack.
- Mix the powdered sugar and milk together until well combined. With a spoon or a pastry brush, coat the top of your cookies with the glazed mixture. Place the cookies back onto the wire racks until the glaze sets.
- Store in a container to keep fresh.
I know the 2 tbsp balls sound large, but they need to be bigger for the cookies to spread flat.
One winner is going to win a 3 month subscription to Netflix
**This Giveaway has ended, winner has been notified**
Giveaway Terms & Conditions: No purchase is required to enter or win. This giveaway is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia), who are 18 years of age or older. Giveaway ends on May 6th, 2014. Winner will be contacted via email and will have 48 hours to claim prize before a new winner is drawn.